MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF ABENBURY COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD ON 10th October 2016 AT HMP BERWYN

PRESENT: Councillor R Squire (in the Chair), Councillors, I Squire, P Done, R G Lowden, TAG Williams and A Reeves.
APOLOGIES: Councillors S Clutton and R Jones
  ALSO PRESENT: Clerk – W S Nott, Michael Morris (Wrexham CBC) and    PCSO James Humm.

 

Prior to the meeting commencing Nick Dan welcomed the Council to the first meeting to be held at HMP Berwyn. Also present with Nick were Suzy Talbot, Gurbinder Singh and Catherine Pritchard of Wrexham CBC. He then gave an update on progress. Building work was currently ahead of schedule although a bad winter could affect the potential completion date of May 2017. It was still expected that the Prison would be up and running by September 2017. Recruitment had progressed well and training was underway, after which staff would work in other prisons so that they would have actual experience prior to starting at Berwyn. Members questioned the ratio of experienced to rookie staff and Nick confirmed that this would be about 40/60but emphasised that the “rookies” would have had full training and experience in other prisons.

Other recruitment by, for example Bettsy Cadwalader Health Board, had also been successful and they would shortly be announcing the contract winners for “Leaning & Skills”.

Gurbinder Singh introduced himself as Chaplin to the Prison and spoke about his role, particularly linked to the question on suicides.

The Chair thanked Nick and colleagues for both the welcome and update. Members then raised a number of issues around possible impact on local services following suicides at the prison, Welsh speaking staff, Policing arrangements, bus services and in particular the ongoing problems of parking and the need to extend the double yellow lines.

 

42 MINUTES

 

Minutes of the meeting held on the 5th September were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

 

 43 MATTERS ARISING

 

The Chair mentioned that many of the issues raised with the Prison had been discussed at the last meeting and asked the Clerk to follow these up.

 

44 POLICING MATTERS  

 

In the absence of PCSO Alison Heron, PCSO James Humm submitted the report for September which disappointingly showed a significant increase in Burglaries. There had been15 crimes and 6 cases of anti-social behaviour in the Holt ward. Three burglaries other than a dwelling, one theft from a motor vehicle, two thefts, one case of criminal damage. Significantly there had been 8 burglaries all on the LLwyn Onn Estate. Arrests had been made and since there had been no more incidents. This was ongoing.

Members thanked the PCSO for the report and asked more detailed questions in relating to the burglaries.

 

45 FINANCIAL MATTERS, AUDIT AND ACCOUNTS

 

PAYMENTS

    The following payments were authorised

Wrexham CBC – Employee Costs – £644.58

Wrexham CBC – Hire of Atrium – £60

The Clerk reported on the national increase in salary for Clerks and, as before, was approved.

BANK BALANCES

Bank balances were as follows- Current Account – £29,849.48 and Reserve Account – £5,475.69

 

46 CORRESPONDENCE AND CLERK’S REPORT   

 

The Clerk gave a summary of the items of correspondence which were NOTED

 

  1. Wrexham CBC – Consultation on draft School Organisation Strategy
  2. Wrexham CBC – Next Town & Community Council Meeting – 8th December 20116
  3. Wrexham CBC – Consultation – “The Wrexham we want”
  4. Independent remuneration Panel for Wales – Draft Annual Report for 2017/8 – Agreed that should the Panel confirm the Draft report then the Council would continue to NOT receive the proposed Annual payment.
  5. Play Wales – Conference 20th October
  6. Dementia Friendly – e Newsletter
  7. Police & Crime Commissioner Conference – 1st November
  8. North wales Fire & Rescue – Consultation HMP Berwyn – Job vacancies – Agreed to make formal objection regarding the downgrading of the number of appliances at the Wrexham Fire Station.
  9. Caia Community Council – request to support objection – Supported
  10. Welsh Government – Consultation on higher tax on second homes
  11. Welsh Government – Local Government reform oral statement
  12. One Voice Wales – Training Sessions – invitation from Chirk Council
  13. One Voice Wales – Meaningfull Change Conference Invitation – 11th November
  14. Groundwork trust – invitation to apply for Community Grant from Tesco
  15. One Voice Wales – Advice on working with young people
  16. Welmedical – Publicly Accessible Defibrillators Agreed for Clerk to make further enquiries
  17. North Wales Police – Go Safe Bulletin
  18. Planning Aid Wales – Event on Developments of National Significance 16th November Cardiff
  19. North Wales Deaf – application for grant – Deferred
  20. Boundary Commission for Wales (bcomm-wales.gov.uk) review of Parliamentary Constituencies – Initial Proposals – Objections to both the reduction of the number of MPs and the proposed boundaries.
  21. North Wales Miners Association Trust – request for financial assistance – Deferred
  22. Wrexham CBC – Dog Control & Dog Fouling proposed Public Spaces Protection Notice – Representations to be made

 

   47 PLANNING

 

None

 

    48 MEMBERS REPORTS

 

Cllr Iris Squire said that the cycle path on Cefn Road was blocked by the overgrown bracken and hedge.

Cllr G Williams again reminded the Council of his concerns regarding the ditch near Lloyds.

Cllr Morris reported that the Residents Association were consulting the Council over an idea to place a large stone to mark the entrance to the Estate as similar to the one at Marchwiel. Members were supportive of the idea.

 

      49 DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

The next Ordinary Meeting would be MONDAY 14th November 2016 at 7.00 pm at HMP Berwyn.

 

       50 DURATION OF MEETING

The meeting began at 7.00 pm and ended at 8.55

 

 

 

 

Signed__________________________    Date______________

 

SN/11/10/2016

Filed under: Previous Minutes